Thursday, March 17, 2011

Guilty Pleasures and Playlists



In my final year of high school, I developed a bit of a bad habit...

I'm still not sure if I'm proud of this, and every now and then I seem to slip back into it.

I've tried to shake it a few times, putting myself through various rehabilitation processes, but ultimately it keeps on coming back...

I admit it. I actually like pop music. Dirty, dirty pop music. Every inch of musical sensibility inside of me screams to stop listening, but I can't, no matter how much I try.

It comes in waves... some weeks I'll completely abstain. Taking nothing but my audiophile-esque i-Phone for the 2 hour train ride from the Sunshine Coast to Brisbane and back. But on the odd occasion, the old ipod classic (complete with my entire music library) comes out, and all hell breaks loose.

To give you a bit of an idea of my issues, here's a selection of my Itunes 'Purchased' playlist...

Photobucket

Jack Ladder, Yeasayer, Ryan Adams - I can work with that.
Agnes Baltsa - bit of a classic
Mitzi - Keep it local
Advantage Lucy - some relatively obscure J-Pop (Japanese Pop - for the less informed)
Then BAM! It hits you out of nowhere. Lil Jon & LMFAO... Really? Like... Really?

Yeah, really.

As I hear lately, an iTunes library is apparently an incriminating reflection of a persons phsycological state (Levy, 2006). Which has got me wondering, nay, worrying about what my personal library says about me.

Is it time to bite the bullet and purge our hard-drive of these aural fallacies, or should we ride it out, hoping no-one notices?

The choice is really up to you, but if you do choose to engage in some of life's more incriminating guilty pleasures, just make sure you steer clear of the 'L Train'.





References:
Levy, S. 2006. The perfect thing: How the iPod shuffles commerce, culture and coolness. New York: Simon & Schuster Paperbacks

No comments:

Post a Comment