Sunday, May 1, 2011

Working in New Media

As I've entered the third year of my degree in Marketing and Digital Media, I have begun to be faced with the prospects of finding (and keeping) work once I finish.Which is all good, until I begin to realise, I have no idea how to find and keep work in New Media.

Although limited research has been conducted on the burgeoning industry of New Media, it is noted as being a rewarding, demanding, and dynamic industry. In a 2007 study, Rosalie Gill conducted multiple interviews with several New Media practitioners from varying types of New Media work. The report that she released noted the vastly different areas that New Media practitioners work in, as well as the hugely constrasting work conditions.

This is pretty interesting, and kind of frightening. One of the major aspects of the work that interviewers noted was the extreme hours worked, as well as the minimal pay. Neither of these things are particularly attractive. However, what is appealing, and exciting is the ability to engage in new and innovative tasks; creating value not only for myself, but society on a whole.

All in all, it seems to be the case that New Media work, more then any other, is reliant on informal networks. Which means I guess I'll have to get out and about to meet some people.

References:
Gill, R. 2007. Technobohemians of the New Cyberteriat. Amsterdam: Institue of Network Cultures

No comments:

Post a Comment